doing a series of posts from the past. this was posted early January 2006 after a class one night on the mission of God:
MAJOR Social Concerns of the Covenant (i.e., The Bible):
1. Personhood – Everone’s person is to be secure.
2. False accusation – Everyone’s to be secure against slander and false accusation.
3. Women – No woman is to be taken advantage of within her subordinate status in society.
4. Punishment – Punishment for wrongdoing shall not be excessive so that the culprit is dehumanized.
5. Dignity – Every [person’s] dignity and right to be God’s freedman and servant are to be honored and safegaurded.
6. Inheritence – Every [person’s] inheritence in the promised land is to be secure.
7. Property – Everyone’s property is to be secure.
8. Fruit of Labor – Everyone is to receive the fruit of his labors.
9. Fruit of the Ground – Everyone is to share the fruit of the ground.
10. Rest on the Sabbath – Everyone, down to the humblest servant and the resident alien, is to share the weekly rest of God’s Sabbath.
11. Marriage – The marriage relationship is to be kept inviolate.
12. Exploitation – No one, however disabled, impoverished or powerless, is to be oppressed or exploited.
13. Fair Trial – Everyone is to have free access to the courts and is to be afforded a fair trial.
14. Social Order – Every person’s God-given place in the social order is to be honored.
15. Law – No one shall be above the law, not even the King.
16 – Animals – Concern for the welfare of other creatures is to be extended to the animal world.
For specific verses please see page 271 in The NIV Study Bible!